Tofu Katsu Curry Recipe
Delicious, homemade, and Vegan Katsu Curry. There’s no need for a takeaway when you can make this fantastic ‘fakeaway’. This dish takes care of all your curry cravings and will leave you (or your family and friends) asking for more.
We’ve managed to make this recipe, so it is suitable for people avoiding gluten and products derived from animals – or people who just love to cook with plant products.
Katsu Curry has to be one of my favourite meals. If you haven’t tried the Vegan Katsu Curry at Wagamama, you’re missing out big time. Either way, you can try our Vegan Tofu Katsu Curry here – easier on your purse strings but with no sacrifice on flavour!
Vegan Katsu Curry Sauce
Our Katsu Curry sauce is super simple, requiring just a few staple household ingredients and spices.
This sauce is the key to the katsu tofu curry dish and if you are one to like a lot of sauce you may want to double the quantity, to make it super saucy. Can you ever have too much sauce? Especially when it tastes this amazing.
Gluten-Free Breaded Tofu Recipe
You will want to use extra-firm tofu, I used a UK brand for this recipe called Tofoo Extra Firm Tofu.
First of all, we will want to squeeze as much water out of the tofu as possible with a tofu press or if you do not own a tofu press:
- Use a clean tea towel and wrap it around the tofu.
- Place a chopping board on top and then add heavy items such as a saucepan filled with jars for example.
- Leave for 30 minutes or so and up to 100ml of water can be removed from the tofu.
This part can be a little bit fiddly. You need to fill three separate bowls with cornflour, plant-based milk, and breadcrumbs.
You will add each slice of tofu to the cornflour first, then milk, and finally gluten-free breadcrumbs. If you can’t get hold of gluten-free breadcrumbs, you can use gluten-free and vegan corn flakes crushed up. Ensuring that the tofu is fully coated, you can repeat a couple of times.
Quorn Vegan Nugget Katsu Curry
If you do not have time or don’t have tofu in and you are really craving a Katsu Curry. You can use Quorn Vegan ‘chicken’ nuggets instead of tofu and it still works like a treat. Worth flagging here that these are not gluten-free.
Gluten-Free and Vegan Tofu Katsu Curry Recipe
Vegan Tofu Katsu Curry Recipe
For the Katsu Sauce
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chinese five spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 g gluten-free plain flour
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
For the tofu
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 40 g gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 50 ml unsweetened almond milk or any other plant-based milk
- salt and pepper
- Rice of choice sushi, basmati, brown
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp freshly chopped coriander
For the Katsu Sauce
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for a couple minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Take off the heat and add the curry powder, turmeric, chinese five spice and season with salt and pepper. Put back on heat and cook for 1 minute. Add the gluten-free plain flour and then gradually add in the vegetable stock.
- Add the tomato puree and maple syrup, let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth. You can return to the pan to keep warm.
For the tofu
- In three separate bowls, place the cornflour, milk and breadcrumbs. Season the GF breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
- Cut the tofu into 6 even slices, use a kitchen roll sheet to pat these dry.
- Place the tofu into the cornflour, milk, then breadcrumbs, ensuring they are all thoroughly coated.
- Add to the airfryer or on a baking tray in your oven and cook on 200 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Warm the sauce. Chop the spring onions. Cut the Tofu slices in half.
- Divide the rice between bowls, top with tofu and pour the warm curry sauce over the top. Add the spring onions and coriander. Enjoy!
If you loved this Vegan Tofu Katsu Curry, you might love more of our vegan or gluten-free recipes on the LiberEat blog or on the LiberEat app. 400+ recipes including recipes from The Vegan Society Trademark and lots of other amazing creators.
Try out more of our favourite vegan blog posts: