Moist Vegan & Gluten-free Apple and Carrot cake with walnuts and cream cheese
The best recipe for a moist gluten and dairy-free apple and carrot cake with crushed walnuts for added crunch and a delicious sweet cream cheese icing using Violife Vegan Cream Cheese.
I love using apples in baking. They create a nice moist cake and add a naturally sweet flavour.
A key benefit of this cake is that it’s so easy and you don’t have to spend hours and hours grating so many tricky carrots!
Vegan Apple & Carrot Cake
In this recipe I will show you how to make the cake in a Bundt tin, but I have discovered the mixture works just as well in muffin cases, just bake for 12-15 minutes.
How to make gluten-free apple & carrot cake :
Vegan and Gluten-Free Apple & Carrot Cake
For the cake
- 150 g carrots
- 1 apple
- 100 g brown sugar
- 120 g vegan butter we used vegan Stork
- 60 g coconut oil
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
- 120 g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1.5 tbsp vegan cream cheese we used Violife
- 1 splash plant-based milk we used almond
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius and line a muffin traywith cases or grease a Bundt tin with coconut oil.
- Peel, core and grate your apple and carrots as best you can.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the brown sugar and vegan butter.
- Add the oil, flour, xanthan gum, and baking powder and mix well.
- Once your mix has a consistency that you are happy with, fold in the grated carrots, apples and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cases or tin. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes for the muffins or 25 minutes for the cake. Skewer with a clean knife to check if they are ready.
- When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by creaming together the icing sugar, plant-based milk and cream cheese.
- Once the cake has cooled, pipe or spoon the icing on top. Decorate how you like with dried flowers or nuts if you wish.