Moist carrot cake muffins with crushed walnuts for added crunch and sweet cream cheese icing. I love using apples in baking cause they are juicy and add a sweeter flavour, plus its great because I don’t have to grate too many tricky carrots!
100g brown sugar
120g unsalted butter
120g gluten free self raising flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 handful chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp icing sugar
1.5 tbsp cream cheese
splash of milk
1) Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius and line a muffin tray with cases or grease a bundt tin with butter
2) Peel, core and grate your apple and carrots as best you can
3) In a separate bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter
4) Add eggs, flour, xanthan gum, and baking powder and mix well.
5) When you mix has a consistency which you are happy with, fold in the grated carrots and apples, and chopped walnuts.
6) Spoon the mix in to the cases or tin. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes for muffins or 25 minutes for a cake, skewering with a clean knife to check when they are ready.
7) When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool.
8) Meanwhile, prepare the icing by creaming together the icing sugar, milk and cream cheese
9) When the cake has cooled, pipe or spoon the icing on top. Decorate with dried flowers or nuts as you see fit