These little rhubarb gluten free cupcakes are easy to make and great as comfort food. Sweet and sticky, they are great for baking in batch and pulling out the freezer when you need a little pick me up! Just serve them as a hot pudding with ice cream and you are good to go. As it’s a gluten free cupcake, it can be shared with all.
Caster sugar 125g
Unsalted Butter 125g
Gluten Free Self Raising Flour 125g
Baking Powder 1tspn
Xanthan Gum 1tspn
Rhubarb Stalks (Chopped) 1 and a half
1. Preheat the Oven to 200 Degrees Celcius
2. Cream together butter and sugar until the mix is smooth.
3. Add the eggs and mix until combined but not for too long or the cake will be stodgey. Add the sieved flour, xanthan gum and baking powder and combine well.
4. Once the cake batter is of an even consistency, fold in the chopped rhubarb. Again, don’t over mix, just make sure the chunks are roughly spread throughout the mix.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cases and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, allowing to cool afterwards. To test if the cakes are ready pierce with a clean knife and make sure the knife comes out clean with no wet batter attached.
6. Serve the rhubarb cupcakes hot with ice cream or custard, or cold in a packed lunch. (If freezing, leave to defrost for 45 mins then blast in the microwave for 30 seconds.)
Like our recipe for gluten free cupcakes? Also try out our Apple and Cherry Crumble recipe. If you have any tips of your own, comment below to add your thoughts! Don’t forget to tag us in your recreations on Facebook and Instagram!