A crunchy and sweet dessert with juicy chunks of apple and bites of sweet cherry makes for an easy yet delightful dish. This Apple crumble can be prepared in advance and baked while your guests are enjoying the first course so it is always perfectly cooked just when they need it. Make sure to make some extra portions as you will find yourself wanting some more!
Medium cooking apples (peeled, cored, thickly sliced) 4
Cherries (De-stoned and sliced) 50.00 g
Gluten Free Plain Flour 90 g
Butter (Can swap for Dairy Free) 50g
Caster Sugar 50 g
Caster Sugar 1tbsp
1. Place the peeled, cored and chopped apples in a dish. Try to cover the entire base so that no crumble falls through. Sprinkle over the chopped cherries, aiming to fill any gaps and spread evenly.
2. Sprinkle 2 tbspns of sugar over the fruit to coat it.
3. In a separate bowl, add the flour and the remaining sugar. Slice in blocks of the butter and knead it well. You want to aim for a slightly wet crumble texture.
4. With the gluten free crumble, I prefer a thinner layer of crumble as it can become powdery if too thick.This also ensures a crispy golden topping. If however this is not covering your base then make a greater quantity. I have found this ratio sufficient for a large shallow dish.
5. Spread the topping over the fruit evenly, followed by a tbsp of sugar. Place the dish in the oven for 30+ minutes. Before removing check that the topping is sufficiently golden brown and crispy and your Apple crumble is ready!
Serve warm with custard or ice cream. Enjoy!
Also don’t forget to try our other recipes like our Best Gluten Fee & Vegan Hot Cross Bun recipe. If you have any tips of your own, comment below to add your thoughts! Don’t forget to tag us in your recreations on Facebook and Instagram!