Easy Vegan Shortbread
I have to admit, I am pretty disappointed that I am only now making gluten and dairy-free shortbread recipe. After all, it is a traditional Scottish biscuit and I’m a Scottish gal!
Shortbread is recognised for its crumbly, delicate, and buttery texture.
One of the best things about shortbread biscuits is that you can make them at home with only three ingredients. To make a delicious biscuit to serve to friends and family with a nice cuppa.
Why we love our vegan and gluten-free Shortbread recipe:
- Three ingredient recipe
- Vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, and gluten-free
- Buttery texture and taste
- Scottish 🙂
- Easy to make
A healthier sugar alternative
I like using icing sugar in my shortbread as it is fine and creates a smooth dough. But if you want a healthier alternative, then you can swap it out for maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener.
Butter alternative for shortbread
If you want you can switch the butter to coconut oil. You may miss that buttery texture and flavour that a traditional shortbread consists of, but it still makes a cracking biscuit.
Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature. If the butter or coconut oil is cold, the dough will become unworkable.
Additions to your Shortbread:
The best thing about shortbread is its simplicity. A simple biscuit that is special for its buttery texture and taste. But if we are feeling adventurous, then it is easy to add some extra ingredients.
Here are a few of our favourites:
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Lemon juice
- Fruit: blueberries, raspberries
- Raisins or chopped dates
If you try and love our Shortbread recipe, tag us on Instagram @Libereatapp and use #LiberEat so we can see and share your delicious pictures with our LiberEat community.
The Best Shortbread Recipe
Vegan and Gluten-Free Shortbread Recipe
- 250 g dairy-free butter at room temperature, or you can use coconut oil
- 90 g icing sugar
- 300 g gluten-free plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat the room temperature butter until smooth. Sieve in icing sugar and beat until combined.
- Sieve in half the flour and beat again until combined. Add the other half of the flour and use your hands to combine until it resembles a dough.
- Roughly press down into a rectangle shape. Transfer and press into the pan. You can use a small rolling pin or glass to press lightly. Don’t press too hard as this could make the shortbread harder instead of light.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, and work quickly to cut into the desired shape - rectangles or circles. Prick with a fork and sprinkle a small amount of caster sugar over each biscuit.
- Return to the oven for 7 minutes or until your shortbread is golden. Turn off the oven, and leave the shortbread to cool for an hour in the oven.
- Remove and allow to cool completely. Serve with a cuppa and enjoy!
Some of our other vegan and gluten-free recipes:
Do you know someone who would love this?
Feel free to share with the links below.
LiberEat’s allergen and error detection technology provides an allergen safety blanket for food businesses to ensure that consumers are safe and healthy when eating at your restaurant or consuming your food products.
LiberEat offers a second line of defense for food businesses by detecting errors, allergens, and other harmful ingredients. Food businesses can apply this technology directly to identify errors in allergen communications, preventing the risk of injury. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our Allergen Detection Technology.