Ah memories! Hot custard drizzled over a sweet sponge cake and crunchy sugar strands. This recipe is sure to bring back memories of youth with the added bonus of being allergy friendly. This recipe is ridiculously simple but everyone will love it… Result!
Caster Sugar 190g
Unsalted Butter (can use dairy free alternative) 190g
Free Range Eggs 3g
Self Raising Flour 190g
Xanthan Gum 1tsp
Baking Powder 1tsp
Icing Sugar 150g
1. Preheat oven to 280 degrees C
2. Cream together butter and sugar until smooth
3. Add eggs and mix until combined
4. Add flour, baking powder and xanthan gum and mix until combined.
5. Grease square baking tray (15×15 ish) with butter and baking paper. Pour in mix and spread evenly. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes/ until brown and springy.
6. Remove cake from oven when cooked and allow to cool. Do not take it out of the pan until serving.
7. Mix icing sugar with water, a teaspoon at a time, and (optional) food colouring of your choice. Aim for the consistency of a thick cheese sauce, so that it is not too runny. When the sponge has cooled, pour the icing over the sponge and spread to the edges of the tin and cover with sprinkles.
Voila, serve with hot custard.