Ingredients for Chole:
Sunflower Oil, 5 tbsp
Carrom seeds, 1 tsp (optional)
Garlic, ½ tbsp finely chopped
Ginger, ½ tbsp finely chopped
Onion, 1 cup finely chopped
Turmeric powder, ½ tsp
Chilli powder, 1tsp
er Oil, 5 tbsp
tbsp finely chopped
How to make Chole chickpea curry
- Heat oil in a pan, add the carrom seeds (optional) followed by ginger and garlic. Slightly sauté without browning them and add the onions. Cook the onions till they turn soft and translucent.
- Now add the main spices; Turmeric powder, chilli powder, Coriander powder and Chole masala/garam masala. Mix them well and cook till you no longer get the raw smell of the spices. Make sure you cook the spices on low flame or else you will burn them!
- Once the spices are done, add tomato puree and cook it well so that all the flavours combine well. Add salt as per your requirement. To this also add the fenugreek leaf powder and Amchur powder. Addition of the amchur powder changes the flavour of the dish completely giving it a tangy punch.
- Once the curry base is cooked nicely and gets slightly thick, add the drained chickpea (Make sure to save the water). Slightly roast the chickpea in the curry base for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the saved water or a cup of warm water to the curry and let it cook for about 15 mins on low flaw stirring occasionally. Garnish with some freshly chopped coriander and serve it hot with some steamed rice.
If you have any tips, comment below to add your thoughts! Don’t forget to tag us in your recreations on Facebook and Instagram!