Job Title: PHP (Laravel) Developer (Remote)
Location: UK Remote
Hours: Full-time Contract: Permanent
Department: Technical Team
Reporting to: Technical Director/Engineering Manager
Salary: Competitive salary and package dependent on experience
Start Date: 1/10/2022
Join the mission to make food safe for everyone – Technology for Good.
At LiberEat, we significantly reduce the risk of injury to consumers by helping food businesses stop dangerous errors in allergen and ingredient information from reaching customers. Our technology is a significant advance on current food industry processes – we will make food safer together.
LiberEat is a B2B technology scale-up business with a strong track record and enormous ambitions for growth. We are in the business of faster and safer allergen detection.
Our allergen and error detection software is unique, reliable, and trustworthy.
We detect issues in food labelling, packaging, supplier lists, menus, and food supply chain data before they reach the consumer.
We save businesses from injuring consumers, the high costs of food withdrawals and recalls, and reputational damage caused by allergen errors. With 50% of UK households avoiding an ingredient due to allergens, intolerances or lifestyle choices, and over 100 major food product allergen recalls per year in the UK alone. There’s a big problem here to solve.
LiberEat was named one of the ‘10 most exciting start-ups in the UK’ by Tech Nation and was selected to join Tech Nation’s applied AI program and Wayra’s AI and Blockchain accelerator. LiberEat also won the Impact Summit award due to our positive social impact. We have recently been awarded Innovate UK grant funding to develop our machine learning-based technology further.
Working closely with our Technical Director/Engineering Manager, this remote role is an exciting opportunity for an experienced PHP Laravel developer who is solution-focused to join our rapidly growing team and hit the ground running on an ambitious project starting 1st October 2022.
We are looking for a collaborative team player with project management skills, working in agile sprints and a clear communicator to join our technology team at a phase of significant growth. This role would suit an experienced and ambitious full-stack developer.
In this role, you will write code within the Laravel framework and operate at all stages of the software development lifecycle. You’ll work with hugely innovative technology, advancing software revolutionising the food safety industry.
- Build, lead and deploy code into a business environments
- Developing code in a team and using Git
- Build simple data models and software designs, and write clean, modern APIs
- Participate in agile development projects via sprints
- Test code and analyse results, reporting learnings back to the business
- Understand the structure of our Programmes inside out to identify and resolve issues
- Maintain quality and ensure responsiveness of systems
- Support ongoing business requirements
What you’ll bring to the role
- You must have a minimum of three years of experience in a similar role.
- A degree (or comparable level of work experience) in Computer Science, IT Engineering or a related field
- Skills in agile working or a keen willingness to adopt these
- Project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once and effectively prioritise
- Logical and creative thinking skills
- A passion for solving problems and thinking outside the box
- A detailed and organised approach
- Ability to communicate clearly in a variety of situations, verbally and in writing to key internal and external stakeholders, including clients
- Understanding and implementation of security and data protection
- Always on the cutting edge with up-to-date knowledge of the following technologies, the ideal candidate will bring this to the role and be willing to learn.
The ideal candidate will have experience and familiarity with the following:
- Expert in PHP 7 or above (8 is desirable but not essential)
- Expert in Laravel (version 9 is desirable but not essential)
- Experience with relational databases and Advanced MySQL/MariaDB
- Comfortable writing unit and feature tests for PHPUnit
- Understand caching
- Can write efficient code
- Familiarity with cloud environments (AWS desirable)
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs
- Understand how to build a horizontally scaling infrastructure
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS3 skills) intermediate or above
- HTML5 intermediate or above
What we’ll offer
- Competitive salary and package
- Well-structured career development plans, mentoring and coaching
- The opportunity to develop and grow your career within a fast-paced scale-up business while making a real difference to the safety of those with food allergies
Above is the detail of the role’s key responsibilities and output required. Please note that this is not a definitive summary, and responsibilities may change and evolve as the business flexes and pivots.
LiberEat is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community and people from all backgrounds across the UK.
This role is remote, with opportunities to collaborate as possible/appropriate in person.
We’d love to receive your application!
To apply for this role, please include an up-to-date CV and a short cover letter (under 500 words) via email to [email protected] outlining why your experience would be relevant to this role. Including projects, software, and apps you have worked on would be interesting to the team.